Sunday, February 1, 2009

BLOG #1- SHAME

Shame is a painful emotion cause by embarrassment and or disgrace. I like to think of shame as an emotion that you can't prevent. The difference between guilt and shame is are the circumstances. When someone feels guilty, they must first feel like they did something wrong. That is not a requirement for shame. For example, as a teenager my parents can be extremely embarrassing. When they do get around my friends they always do something weird. It really never fails. When my friends talk about it later, i don't feel guilty because i did nothing wrong. I feel ashamed because of my parents actions. My friends laugh at me for a while, then the next topic comes up, and they forget it ever happened. That's how it's always been. I never feel ashamed for a long period of time because it's not my fault. I realize that and the event doesn't seem bad at all anymore. Guilt, on the other hand, i can feel that for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment